Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS) is a Fortune 500 company, the nation’s largest retail bookseller, and a leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products with annual revenues of more than $4 billion. The Company operates 648 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web’s premier e-commerce sites, BN.com (www.bn.com). Our Nook Digital business offers a lineup of popular NOOK® tablets and eReaders and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store® (www.nook.com).
It’s no secret why Barnes & Noble is among the best-loved and most-respected brands in the country. From becoming the first bookseller in America to discount books in the 1970s to establishing the superstore concept in the 1990s to the launch of NOOK and our current merchandise expansion into areas like educational toys and games and curated gifts, Barnes & Noble continues to revolutionize the retail industry.
Over the past few years, we have dynamically transformed our business from a store-based model to an omni-channel model centered on our retail stores, e-commerce and digital. Our omni-channel distribution platform provides customers easy and convenient access to print and digital books, magazines, newspapers, and entertainment content, along with a diverse product selection that rivals any specialty retailer. In addition, we have implemented a variety of innovative merchandising initiatives that continue to grow store traffic and sales.
With corporate offices in New York City, Westbury, NY, and Santa Clara, CA, we offer a wide range of opportunities in various disciplines, including merchandising, book buying, marketing, digital, engineering, information technology, finance and accounting. Our distribution centers in Monroe, NJ, and Reno, NV, offer challenging opportunities in distribution, logistics and more, while our state-of-the-art customer service center in Lyndhurst, NJ, features opportunities for customer service professionals. And our Sterling Publishing subsidiary in New York City provides exciting opportunities in the publishing field.
We're passionate about our people and profession and are investing in all areas of our business, so the opportunities to make an impact based on your interests, skills and talents have never been greater. If you have a focus on customer satisfaction, teamwork, and enjoy the free exchange of ideas, consider joining our team.
As a Bookseller, you sell all our products and deliver world-class customer service through your commitment to our four core service principles. You have a passion for what you do and enrich the customer's experience by sharing your knowledge to determine the customer's needs. You make the store experience interactive and engaging.Essential Functions:
- Provide world-class customer service by delivering the four core service principles: put the book in the customer's hand, offer to order, offer the Member program, and fast cashiering.
- Greet and establish rapport with customers, engaging them in conversations about all our products and services.
- Ask questions to identify customer needs, providing recommendations using your product knowledge to connect our customer with the right solutions.
- Share technical knowledge and enthusiasm about all our digital products and services, providing a personalized experience to multiple customers at the same time.
- Respond to customer's concerns and questions, and wrap up the sale.
- Communicate specific product needs to managers to ensure your store is stocked appropriately with in demand titles and customer requests.
- Ensure that products are put on the selling floor when received, identifying, organizing, shelving, and zoning in accordance with Integrated Store Operations (ISO), Visual Merchandising Standards (VMS), and shelving guidelines.
- Recover the selling floor during each shift, including but not necessarily limited to gathering and picking up items, straightening bookcases, maintaining tables in the Cafe, helping to maintain restroom cleanliness, and performing other store housekeeping tasks as required.
- Assist in any area of the store when necessary; including but not limited to receiving, cashwrap, Cafe‚ and specialty areas.
- Protect company assets by adhering to all inventory and loss prevention standards, properly completing weekly cycle counts and inventories.
- Help orient new booksellers, ensuring a smooth acclimation to the store and our bookselling culture.
- Act with integrity and trust, promoting our bookselling culture and core values.
- As a bookseller, you sell, sharing your technical and product knowledge with customers and other booksellers, contributing to the overall success of your store.
- You relate easily to others, building rapport and collaborative relationships with the store team and customers.
- You are able to speak with all customers, are a good listener and enjoy working with people.
- You are comfortable in a changing environment, with multitasking, and with learning new systems and processes.
- You comply at all times with the Standards, Policies, and Code of Business Conduct and Ethics set out in the Bookseller Handbook.
- You spend the majority of your time on the selling floor, which requires physical activity, including maneuvering around the store, prolonged standing, repetitive bending, climbing, and lifting.
- Our stores are open daily, which requires early morning, evening, weekend, and holiday availability.
- You should be capable of using a computer and cash register.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.